I am at a bit of a loss for words tonight. So let’s just get straight to the goods…the recipe! ;)
Spinach, Mushroom, and “Sausage” Bake
EVOO cooking spray
16 oz low-fat cottage cheese (drained as much as possible to eliminate liquid)
1 cup of part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup ground vegan sausage, lightly browned (I used one Field Roasted Apple Sage sausage)
1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
2 eggs + 3 egg whites, beaten
1/2 cup Monteray mushrooms, chopped
4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1/4 to 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a casserole dish with EVOO cooking spray.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Stir until mixed well.
3. Pour the mixture into the casserole dish.
4. Bake, uncovered, for approximately 45-55 minutes, or until the center is set and the top is golden brown. I cooked mine for 45 minutes, but wished that I would have cooked it longer once I began to cut into it.
5. Let the casserole sit for at least 10 minutes. Serve.
This dish is incredibly high in protein (think “sausage,” cottage cheese, eggs, and cheese), and incorporates several nutrient-rich vegetables.
I at my Spinach, Mushroom, and “Sausage” Bake with unsweetened apple sauce and a leftover Thanksgiving wheat roll. It was quite the tasty combination! ;)
This casserole was great for dinner, but could certainly be made as a breakfast/brunch dish.
Have you or would you ever try vegan “sausage?”